ASI - Aluminium Stewardship Initiative Certification
The Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) is an industry-led initiative to drive sustainability across the entire aluminium value chain. Certification to the ASI Standards enables the aluminium industry, as well as the users of aluminium, to demonstrate their commitment to social, environmental and ethical standards.
Aluminium has unique properties that make it a great resource for the transition to a sustainable economy, as it is extremely lightweight and has excellent recyclability. At the same time, the production of aluminium has a considerable impact on the planet, which needs to be managed and mitigated. The ASI certification scheme enables producers and industry users of aluminium to demonstrate in a credible way that they uphold the highest environmental, social and ethical standards.
The ASI Standards are applicable to the entire aluminium value chain, from bauxite mining over refining and smelting to material conversion. The standards also apply to industrial users, such as the automotive industry and the packaging materials sectors.
Certification to the ASI Performance Standard
The ASI Performance Standard covers critical issues for the entire aluminum value chain, including greenhouse gas emissions, waste management, material stewardship, biodiversity and human rights.
Certification to the ASI Chain of Custody Standard
The ASI Chain of Custody (CoC) Standard complements the ASI Performance Standard, and is voluntary for ASI Members. The CoC Standard sets out requirements for the creation of a Chain of Custody for ASI-certified Aluminum, which is produced and processed through the value chain into diverse downstream sectors.
Benefits of the Standard
The implementation of the ASI Standards and the certification help you to:
- Demonstrate your commitment to environmental, ethical and social standards
- Increase transparency in supply chains
- Meet the expectations of customers who value sustainability
- Distinguish your products from competitors
ASI Certification – Here’s how it works
The ASI certification procedure consists of five main steps:
- Self-Assessment: In preparation of the audit, companies are requested to answer a set of question to determine their level.
- Certification Audit: This is a risk-based assessment of your conformance with the requirements of the standard, performed by an approved DQS auditor.
- Audit report: The auditor will draft an audit report, which is shared with your organization as well as ASI. If non-conformities had been found, this will include a corrective action plan for you to work on.
- Certification: When there are no remaining non-conformities, ASI will review the audit report and issue the certificate. Your company will be listed on the ASI website.
- Periodic Reviews: Surveillance and re-certification audits will be done by DQS to ensure continued conformance.
DQS CFS – Your partner for certification
DQS CFS is your competent partner for ASI certification. With smooth audit planning, experienced auditors and in-depth audit reports, we will accompany you throughout the entire certification process.
DQS is approved by ASI for all scopes. Our approval is currently for Germany, but can easily and quickly be extended thanks to our global network of offices and auditors.
Global network of auditors and offices
Expert auditors with high emotional intelligence
Recognition in industries around the globe
Comprehensive and actionable Assessment Reports