Climate Bonds Certification –
with DQS as your Verification Partner
With Climate Bonds Certification, investors can be sure that they contribute to a low-carbon economy.
With sustainable finance becoming increasingly important, the pressure is on investors to take environmental, social and governance criteria (ESG) into account. One of the criteria that investors will almost invariably consider is the extent to which projects lead to global warming. A certified Climate Bond is a bond of which the assets and projects contribute to a low carbon economy.
In order to achieve certification for their bond, issuers must engage an approved verifier like DQS, who will verify that the bond meets the requirements of the Climate Bonds Standard.
Certification must be requested by the organization that issues the bond. This can be any organization seeking to finance or re-finance low-carbon projects, such as project developers, utilities, equipment manufacturers, banks and aggregators.
The program is currently available for bonds related to the following assets: Solar Energy, Wind Energy, Geothermal Energy, Marine Renewable Energy, Water Infrastructure, Low Carbon Transport & Low Carbon Building, with more sector criteria in development.
Benefits of Climate Bonds Certification
Issuers of certified climate bonds will find that:
- They attract more investors: investors are under increasing pressure to consider sustainability when making investment decisions. Certification to the Climate Bonds standard gives them the assurance that the bond can be considered a sustainable investment.
- They attract different investors: Because all certified bonds are listed on the Climate Bonds website, issuers can reach a larger international audience. This also saves investors from doing their own environmental due diligence.
- They improve their reputation: Issuers can demonstrate their focus on low-carbon projects.
Certification Process – here’s how it works
- Identify the assets that meet the relevant sector criteria and create a bond framework that describes how the proceeds of the bonds will be used
- Schedule the verification assessment with DQS prior to issuing the bond. We will review the relevant information and confirm in a report that the requirements of the Climate Bonds Standard have been met.
- Send the DQS report to the Climate Bonds Initiative. After a positive evaluation, you will receive the certificate and Certified Climate Bond mark
- Issue the bond
- Schedule a second verification assessment with DQS, within 24 months after issuing the bond and send the report to the Climate Bonds Initiative
- Report annually to the bond holders and the Climate Bonds Initiative
DQS – Your Partner for Certification
DQS is your partner for Climate Bonds certification. We schedule the verification without hassle, rely exclusively on experienced auditors, create added value with intelligent audit reports and guide you through the entire certification process. DQS has been approved to conduct Climate Bonds verification across the globe. Our certificate of approval is available for download here.
Global network of auditors and offices
Expert auditors with high emotional intelligence
Recognition in industries around the globe
Comprehensive and actionable Assessment Reports